Friday, January 26, 2007

after some hibernation...

26.01.07

I'm back!!! :D I'm so sorry for my laziness to update hee. It's my free day today, so I've kind of got a long weekend, till Monday 2:00pm. But that's all assuming that I will be able to pass JOUR 181 (Grammar) and JOUR 201 (Newswriting) tests. So please keep me in your prayers. I don't have a back up plan, as I felt there really is no need to. I really want to trust God to provide me the great opportunities to learn whatever I can from the Philip Merrill School of Journalism here. The classes are really intensive, even though it is a 3 credit course.

I attended one, which was for Newswriting and Reporting: Broadcast, and it seems like there will be a lot of running around to do, interviewing people, recording sound bytes and piecing them together to form a radio broadcast package.

It's good that I feel challenged and vulnerable I guess. It seems to me that the students here have a strong command of the language, so I will have to up my level in order to remain competent. I just want to try my best and see where God leads me lah!! :D

Anyway, when I first came, I had problems with doing my regular quiet time, but I'm glad God saw that difficulty and He solved it! How? Yeah, by waking me up and not being able to get back to sleep. Sometimes, I'd feel lazy and start praying in bed but other times, I get up and read the bible in the living room. That's cool. So I'm definitely really happy about that!! (:

It's freezing outside. It's about -3 degC outside, but with the wind slapping across your face, with it numbing your ears till you hardly feel a deep scratch, it feels like -12 degC. So I've decided to stay home in a heated room to MUG for my JOUR 181 test! It's a good time to get all the Subject-Verb agreement stuff right and hopefully it will improve my writing.. =)

The textbooks here are far more interesting but also expensive than the ones in Singapore but thank God for used textbooks!! *grins*.

I've met another Hong Kong exchange student, Hang in class and it's fun and nice to meet another Asian around. Really thankful to that. And praise God, there's this programme in school, "Building American Friendships" that is Christian-based and I signed up for it. hee. But I will have a problem going to the Crusade meetings in school cos I have lessons from 6-7:50 and the meeting starts at 8 in an area that I'm quite far away from...so hopefully, God helps me with it!!

There's this mixer gathering tonight I think, which I will be going yeay! It's a gathering where all the Christian groups meet. There's crusade, Chi Alpha and other stuff... so I'm really excited to meet the other Christian bros and sis in school! :) And really looking forward to build meaningful friendships here...

Pictures will be coming up soon. I think they are BEAUTIFUL! and I can't wait to share with all of you! :) I was thrilled to see snow for the first time of my life last Sunday. Really sweet and pleasant. We had a 10 minute snow experience yesterday as well but it wasn't as enjoyable as it was on Sunday because it came with a strong gust of wind. For awhile, it seemed like a snow storm haha.

Okie... do drop me an email if you have prayer requests... please pray for me to pass the two tests - JOUR 181 Grammar for Journalists, and JOUR 201 Newswriting and Reporting I.

Also, please pray that I can get my visa extended as I'm looking to securing an internship with ABC News. But no matter what happens, God is great and I claim Romans 8:28 ... But I really feel that an experience with ABC News will widen my lenses as a person or even as a journalist... if I want to be one that is... so let's just pray for God's will to be done.

For all I know, He might want me to go for Campus Mission instead though I really think the internship will be a rare opportunity, almost once in a lifetime thing.

Okie. I'm gonna go and check out what's in store for me in the dining hall. Thank God, I tried some Maryland style Crab soup yesterday...and clam chowder soup.....YUMMY... =)

LOVE,
JANE!

No comments: